Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Night at the African Canadian Achievement Awards

So last night I was invited last minute to the 28th annual African Canadian Achievement Awards. I was really in no condition to go, for several reasons, but I got myself together and I went. How could I pass up on an opportunity like that. You never know who you will meet, and even if it's just to show your face - this is a very critical step in my self-publishing journey. A year ago when I did not have a book that needed notoriety, I may have said "Um, I think I'll pass for tonight - I do not think I will be ready in time." However, this is not a year ago, this is now (see Now or Never? post below). 

I do not regret for one second going there. It was a wonderful evening where I was able to share in other peoples success stories and achievements. It was truly an inspiring evening, one that I hope I will get to be a part of again. 

I also had the opportunity to introduce myself to some important figures in the community, and pass along a few copies of my book. It is not like I am trying to be one of those hustlers who carry their CDs in their trunk, but guess what; that is exactly what I need to be right now in order to reach the next step. 

Being shy and worrying about what others might think will land me in one place: in my momma's basement with a box full of unsold books. 

As promised I will keep you posted on my ups and downs (hopefully mostly ups) of my first book publication.

~Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment